Asbestos fears close second Medford classroom

A classroom at another school in the Patchogue-Medford district was sealed off Friday due to concerns about asbestos. Superintendent Michael Mostow says a custodian at Oregon Middle School reported floor

News 12 Staff

May 29, 2009, 10:36 PM

Updated 5,937 days ago

Share:

A classroom at another school in the Patchogue-Medford district was sealed off Friday due to concerns about asbestos.
Superintendent Michael Mostow says a custodian at Oregon Middle School reported floor tiles in Room 119 that contain asbestos were cracked. Officials say it was from nail holes drilled in the tiles during a construction project last year.
Some parents say they?ve had enough and no longer trust the school district.
?It's obvious that they're hiding something,? says parent Marc Novellino. ?Or they don't know what they're doing because they're putting a lot of kids at risk and something needs to be done quickly.?
Renee Ortiz says she pulled her son out of Oregon Middle School for the rest of the year to be better safe than sorry.
A classroom at Eagle Elementary School remains closed as well. Parents say they still want to know who was in charge of ordering last year?s illegal cleanup of the room. Mostow told New 12 Long Island the district has started an internal investigation. Parents want whoever is responsible to be held accountable.