STORM WATCH

Severe storms are rounding out Memorial Day weather. Heavy rain, strong winds, hail all possible.

Artist, mother aims to raise funds for prosthetic legs

<p>A Long Island woman who recently became a bilateral amputee is hoping someone will help her on her road to recovery.</p>

News 12 Staff

Oct 4, 2018, 6:40 PM

Updated 2,062 days ago

Share:

A Long Island woman who recently became a bilateral amputee is hoping someone will help her on her road to recovery.
Erin Hickey, a 30-year-old artist, slipped and fell in the shower on June 22. She was knocked unconscious for 12 hours.
When she woke up, he legs were paralyzed and she was suffering from kidney failure.
Hickey was rushed to Stony Brook University Medical Center where she remained in a coma for several weeks.
“When I woke up, the surgeon told me that I had to lose my legs or die,” she told News 12. “I ultimately made the decision to fight and survive.”
Several months later, Erin is continuing that fight – but cannot care for her 2-year-old son.
“I want to be able to follow him around, pick him up, chase after a 2-year-old and have him know there is not anything different with his mother,” says Hickey.
She has since been at New Beginnings Community Center in Riverhead – an outpatient facility that provides rehabilitation to people with different ailments.
The rehabilitation has been costly with Medicaid only picking up 70 percent of the cost. The other 30 percent amounts to tens of thousands of dollars she would need for prosthetic legs.
Hickey, who celebrates her birthday Saturday, is hoping her paintings will sell and pay for the legs she needs to move forward with her life. A GoFundMe page has also been set up.


More from News 12