Amityville family escapes fire nearly unscathed

An Amityville family made it out alive after their home caught fire early Monday morning, with the help of some quick action and an off-duty officer who lives next door. Fire officials say the blaze

News 12 Staff

Mar 5, 2008, 1:55 AM

Updated 5,982 days ago

Share:

An Amityville family made it out alive after their home caught fire early Monday morning, with the help of some quick action and an off-duty officer who lives next door.
Fire officials say the blaze started in the fireplace of the Duarte family's home and does not appear suspicious. Katerina, 14, says she slept through the smoke alarms and was awoken by her mother?s screaming. She made it up onto the roof and called 911.
Mother Sara was able to escape and ran next door to get neighbor Joseph Slack, who is a police officer. He grabbed his ladder and got the girl off the roof as flames engulfed the house.
Eduardo Duarte says his family?s home is now unlivable, but the family escaped with minor injuries. He says he is taking solace in the tremendous outpouring of help from his neighbors and community. Neighbors have already pitched in to buy clothing for the Duarte children and offered the family a place to stay until they find other arrangements.


More from News 12