Officials: 1 teen hospitalized following carbon monoxide incident at Great Neck camp

According to officials, the incident happened at the Chabad of Great Neck located at 440 East Shore Road early Tuesday.

News 12 Staff

Jun 28, 2022, 10:54 AM

Updated 656 days ago

Share:

Officials say one teen was hospitalized following a carbon monoxide poisoning incident at a religious camp in Great Neck.
According to officials, the incident happened at the Chabad of Great Neck located at 440 East Shore Road early Tuesday.
Officials say when they arrived on the scene there were high readings of carbon monoxide. All occupants were taken outside and evaluated.
According to officials, 12 girls were treated at the scene, and one 17-year-old was brought to North Shore University Hospital for treatment. The others were released to parents or guardians. All the females were overwhelmed, experiencing headaches and nauseous feeling, officials say.
The supervising adults did not require medical attention, according to the fire marshal.
The source was found to be a malfunctioning heating system.
Michael Uttaro, chief fire marshal for Nassau County, says there were not enough carbon monoxide detectors or smoke detectors. He says there were also several violations related to extension cords, fire extinguishers and exit violations at the facility.
Broken windows and debris could be seen scattered on the property.
Fortunately, the fire marshal says there was one working carbon monoxide detector.
"I think the difference between having serious injuries was that one detector that went off at 5:30 a.m. when many are sleeping and just starting their day," Uttaro says.
Great Neck residents say the building is used for many different functions for the Chabad.
"This has been here over 100 years and used for all kinds of purposes, and we have dinners here, and every morning have a prayer session with 10 or more men," says Ron Georgalis.
News 12 is told that the girls have been at the building for several weeks. There is no word on if there were permits from Nassau County for the girls to stay at the Chabad overnight or if they were local or from out of state.


More from News 12