17-year-old counselor uses Heimlich maneuver to save 10-year-old camper
A camp counselor rushed into action to rescue a 10-year-old camper who started choking during lunch.
Laney Millevoy says she was eating lunch with a friend Tuesday at Three Village Recreation Camp in East Setauket when she started choking on a carrot.
"I couldn't breathe, so it just like felt weird," Laney says.
One of Laney's friends ran over to camp counselor Ronald Richardson for help.
Ronald says he sprang into action and did the Heimlich maneuver once. Laney was then able to swallow the carrot.
Ronald, who is 17, learned the lifesaving maneuver in health class at Ward Melville High School two years ago.
"I think as a 17-year-old, it was incredible," says Megan Creaven, Laney's mother. "He obviously kept a cool head, stayed calm and really, you know, came at the situation."
The camper and counselor are sharing their story in hope that it will inspire people to learn how to administer the Heimlich maneuver.
"Because this could happen to anyone, so it's very good that everyone should know how to do the basics of the Heimlich maneuver, CPR, all that kind of stuff," Ronald says.
Camp counselors also receive training in the Heimlich maneuver and CPR prior to the start of the camp season.