What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's crispy fried calamari
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make crispy fried calamari.
• 3 qt. Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
• 1 lb. clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/4-inch rings
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 lemons, cut into wedges
• 1 cup Uncle Giuseppe's marinara sauce
1. Pour oil into a heavy large saucepan. Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Working in small batches, toss the squid into the flour mixture to coat.
3. Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and very pale golden, about 1 minute per batch.
4. Using your trusty spider, a slotted spoon, transfer the fried calamari to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
5. Place the fried calamari and lemon wedges on a clean plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with the Uncle Giuseppe’s marinara sauce.