What's Cooking: Shrimp picatta
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make shrimp picatta.
• 1-pound large raw shrimp (13 to 15), peeled, deveined and butterflied, tails on
• 2 tbs. shallots (minced)
• 2 tbs. capers
• ½ cup white wine
• 2 lemons (1 juiced and 1 sliced)
• ½ cup blended olive oil (for frying)
• ½ cup all-purpose flour (for dredging) plus 1 TBS for the roux
• 3 large eggs
• 2 tablespoon unsalted butter.
• 1 tbs parsley (chopped)
1. Slice each shrimp along the back to open (butterfly) slightly.
2. Whisk together eggs and place in a shallow dish.
3. Place flour in another shallow dish.
4. Dredge shrimp in flour, then coat completely in egg mixture.
5. In a sauté pan, heat oil and gently place each shrimp cut side down in oil. After 1 minute flip shrimp to ensure all sides are cooked.
6. Once all shrimp are cooked remove from pan and set aside.
7. Discard oil from pan and carefully wipe with a paper towel.
8. Add butter and shallots to the pan and cook shallots until shallots aretranslucent.
9. Add a tablespoon of flour to make a loose roux. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often then add white wine.
10. Whisk wine in to ensure roux is incorporated well.
11. Add the juice of one lemon and capers to the pan and cook for one minute.
12. Add the cooked shrimp to the sauce.
13. Garnish with the sliced lemons and parsley.