Sachem East football to play this season after player's death
The Sachem High School East football team will be playing this season after the death of one of its players, but they'll be playing with a new interim coach.
Joshua Mileto died last week when a heavy log fell on his head during a military-style training drill at an offseason summer camp.
The district announced Friday evening that the head coach and a second member of the coaching staff were being reassigned pending the outcome of an investigation into Mileto's death.
Anthony Gambino will be named interim head coach, officials say. The team will practice Saturday.
According to the statewide rules, the team must take part in 15 days of practice before its first game on Sept. 1. A Section XI league official had previously told News 12 that he could "adjust the schedule a bit" and push their first game to the following week.
Sachem students told News 12 that they had mixed feelings about the team competing this year.
"As a community, I think we can deal with it and push through these tough times," said Ryan Graham.
Nick Camoia said that he's unsure if it's the right thing to do. "To continue on without him, it just seems like you're missing a big piece."
Nick Comunale thinks getting back on the field is the way to go to honor Mileto and be "Sachem Strong."
"Got to do it for Josh, man," he said. "He was the heart and soul of the team. You can't just cancel it. Got to do it for him."