Parents: Odd odor is making students sick
Parents of students at a Rocky Point elementary school say their children are becoming nauseous from toxic fumes.
According to parents, an odd odor inside Frank J. Carasiti Elementary School is making their children sick. They say the school district and school officials did not promptly address the problem.
One parent says she only learned of the problem on the Facebook group called "Rocky Point Parents," where members are listing their children's symptoms.
The superintendent of Rocky Point School District says the odor seems to be exhaust coming from the building's chimney. He also says the school has an environmental testing firm looking into the smell. At this point, he says there's no indication that this odor poses a threat to students and staff.
In a letter sent home Wednesday to parents, Principal Virginia Gibbons says students in the four affected classrooms will be relocated while they attempt to correct the problem.