Taxing Long Island
News12 New York
Download the App
Where to Watch
Local
Crime
Weather
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
Stony Brook Medicine
LIRR Strike

Nonprofit calls on Brookhaven and Suffolk County to chip in to repair storm-damaged road almost 1 year later

Ward Melville Heritage Organization Trustee Graham Scaife made the plea before a packed Head of the Harbor village board of trustees meeting last night.

Jonathan Gordon

Aug 7, 2025, 5:53 AM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

Work to rebuild Harbor Road and the surrounding area in Stony Brook continues to stall out as negotiations continue over who is financially responsible for the work.

Last night, Ward Melville Heritage Organization Trustee Graham Scaife made a presentation before the Head of the Harbor Village Board of Trustees and a room packed with concerned residents.

Head of the Harbor resident Beth Zweig was one of many who attended.

"We heard very inconcrete plans without any meat on the bones," she said.

IMG_3243.jpeg

Scaife said the nonprofit would like to find a way to move forward without involving FEMA. He said the organization estimates construction will cost between $4.5 - $5 million.

Ward Melville is willing to put up about $1 million, but Scaife called on the Town of Brookhaven and Suffolk County to chip in for the rest.

The latest financial request adds another layer to the nearly 1-year battle over who owns the property and, therefore, who is responsible for paying to repair it.

"They're going to have to give in somehow and if they do that, maybe we'll see something," Stony Brook resident Ron Swanson said. "It's a shame [because] it's a beautiful place."

Last August, a powerful storm flooded parts of Stony Brook and the surrounding communities. Rising waters washed away Harbor Road and drained Mill Pond.

The Town of Brookhaven previously said a FEMA application has not been submitted because the Ward Melville Heritage Organization will not sign the necessary forms, but Ward Melville disputed that, pointing out that the town had been maintaining the road before its collapse, implying the responsibility lies with the town.

"It's not right," Stony Brook resident Victor Noce said. "Something should be done."

Brookhaven has argued that the Ward Melville Heritage Organization owns the road and presented land records they say prove it. Ward Melville produced historical documents that said ownership is unclear.

"It's really mind-boggling that we're in this state of suspension," Zwieg said.

A Brookhaven Town spokesperson responded to last night's proposal in a statement to News 12: "The Supervisor and Town Board welcome any new ideas and are studying the proposal, but haven't come to any decisions."

News 12 reached out to Suffolk County for comment, but has not yet heard back.

More Stories

More From News12

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices