'My home is destroyed.' Ronkonkoma apartment building deemed unsafe after pipe burst
Tenants are scrambling to find a place to stay after a pipe burst at a Ronkonkoma apartment building.
Those who live at Building 5000 at the Alston Station Square Complex say they lost furniture, clothes and more when a sprinkler system's pipe burst on Monday.
"My home is destroyed and I don't know where I am going to go or what I am going to do," said Christopher Javitz.
Tenants say by the time they were able to go into their apartments to get what they could, they were knee deep in water.
"You're literally watching your life possessions float away," said Tiffany Fischer.
Alston Station Square Management released a statement, saying in part, "Water restoration teams were deployed to the building and we are working with residents to make sure they have alternate accommodations while we fully assess the situation. Our residents' comfort and safety are of the utmost importance and we will ensure that all systems are restored and fully functional as quickly as possible."
People living in the complex are trying to stay at hotels for the time being. They tell News 12 even if they get a check eventually for the hotel costs - they don't have hundreds of dollars a night upfront.
The building has been deemed unsafe to occupy but tenants are being allowed in between the hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
"My question is is this a structurally unsafe unit? Do I have to worry about the units above me coming crashing down and killing me? Do I have to worry about getting electrocuted? Do I have to worry about mold exposure," Fischer said.
Some of the tenants tell News 12 they are terminating their lease because of the experience while others are waiting to see how long it might be before they can get back in.