Fire rips through home in Ridge; residents safe thanks to passersby
Officials say a fire tore through a home in Ridge Thursday night on 68 Ridge Road.
According to officials, the fire started just after 8:30 p.m. outside on the front porch, and quickly spread to the inside when the front windows broke.
Ridge Fire Chief Wesley Phillips says three people lived in the house. A couple lived in the first level, one man lived in the basement apartment.
News 12 was told that a pregnant woman on the first floor, and the man in the basement were home. They both got out safely thanks to a young man from Coram and his friend who were driving by at the time. They saw the flames, pulled in, called 911 and started getting everyone out.
A cat was also rescued.
Volunteers from nine agencies responded to the scene.