Fight continues over planned Nassau casino
Nassau County's proposed budget for 2016 includes $20 million in revenue from a video lottery gaming facility, and some Democrats are pushing for the county to disclose the casino's location.
The Democrats say they want County Executive Ed Mangano to tell residents where the county is planning to build the facility, calling the issue a top priority of theirs.
"I truly believe that the people of the county deserve to know where this Legislature stands because we have to vote on this before Election Day," says Legislator Kevan Abrahams, the Democratic minority leader.
Mangano's administration is reportedly going to announce a temporary video lottery terminal on or before Dec. 1.
NIFA, the county's fiscal watchdog, expressed concerns Monday about the 2016 plan in an email given to News 12 by county Democrats.
The head of NIFA told Mangano, "We need to see concrete measures and commitments in relation to this budget line for it to be credible."
Nassau residents are no strangers to the idea of video lottery gaming in the county. Earlier this year, residents came out in droves opposed to the idea of a video slots parlor in the old Fortunoff building in Westbury.
News 12 reached out to the county executive's office for comment, but has not yet heard back.