Officials: Man rescues neighbor from Port Washington house firePosted: Updated:
A man is being hailed a hero after rescuing his neighbor during a house fire in Port Washington Friday night.
Authorities say the fire broke out around 7 p.m. on New Street. They say one person was trapped on the second floor of the house.
Officials say a quick-thinking neighbor used a ladder to rescue the victim and the victim's dog.
Scott Trimarchi told News 12 he didn't really think about the dangerous situation he was going into, and all he wanted to do was help his neighbor.
"I don't think I'm a hero. The firefighters are the heroes. And all the people who were helping. I just think I was doing my job as a neighbor, what any neighbor would do for me," said Trimarchi.
They say no one was seriously injured in the fire. The house that caught fire was completely destroyed, while Trimarchi's home was damaged.
- Doctors at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset say they're seeing many cases of patients becoming ill from vaping, and now it may be to blame for a death in Illinois.
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has completed radiation therapy for a cancerous tumor on her pancreas and there is no evidence of the disease remaining, the Supreme Court said Friday.
- Commack approved a proposal that would allow Long Island University to lease 6 acres of property to create a veterinary school.
- Starting in Jan. 2020, single-use plastics will be banned from the area.Starting in Jan. 2020, single-use plastics will be banned from the area.
- A 15-year-old boy, a 46-year-old woman and a 29-year-old man were seriously injured in a Riverhead shooting early Friday morning.
- This week's pets are up for adoption at Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation. The shelter is located at 102 Old Riverhead Road West in Hampton Bays. Their phone number is 631-728-7387.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.