Nassau officials address concerned residents following Haypath Park shootingPosted: Updated:
The Nassau police commissioner addressed dozens of residents Tuesday night at a community meeting in Plainview following a fatal shooting at Haypath Park in Old Bethpage.
Oyster Bay Town Supervisor Joe Saladino says a number of safety measures have been put into place since the shooting earlier this month, including that gates are locked every night.
He says LED lights have been installed in the park and officials are looking into enhancing the cameras.
As News 12 reported, police say 22-year-old Brandon Torres of Staten Island fatally shot Stefon Pierre, also 22. Investigators say Patricia Quilliam, Charles Spinella, Kion Carter and Dimitri Filacouris were all arrested in what is described as a drug deal gone wrong.
Officials say while this may be an isolated incident, it doesn't mean they shouldn't strive to make improvements to the park.
- Doctors at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset say they're seeing many cases of patients becoming ill from vaping, and now it may be to blame for a death in Illinois.
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has completed radiation therapy for a cancerous tumor on her pancreas and there is no evidence of the disease remaining, the Supreme Court said Friday.
- Commack approved a proposal that would allow Long Island University to lease 6 acres of property to create a veterinary school.
- Starting in Jan. 2020, single-use plastics will be banned from the area.Starting in Jan. 2020, single-use plastics will be banned from the area.
- A 15-year-old boy, a 46-year-old woman and a 29-year-old man were seriously injured in a Riverhead shooting early Friday morning.
- This week's pets are up for adoption at Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation. The shelter is located at 102 Old Riverhead Road West in Hampton Bays. Their phone number is 631-728-7387.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.