2 charged in church vandalism that was caught on cameraPosted: Updated:
Two men are facing charges in connection to vandalism at a Greek Orthodox church in Greenport that was captured on surveillance video.
As News 12 has reported, a pastor discovered the damage back on Aug. 19. The church on Main Street had a broken window, a damaged sign and several damaged flower pots.
Southold police released surveillance video that showed the two suspects carrying out the vandalism. Police say the two suspects were identified after the footage was released, and the men both turned themselves in today.
They have been identified as 21-year-old Wesley S. Brown, of Briarcliff Manor in Westchester County, and 22-year-old Mitchell Mayer, of Burlington, Vermont.
The two men are facing misdemeanor charges of fourth-degree criminal mischief. They were released on $250 bail.
News 12 previously reported that the priest says he received two phone calls from men claiming to be the suspects shown in the surveillance video. Both said they had been drinking and didn't remember the incident. The priest told News 12 that he didn’t buy their explanation, and felt that they had acted "with hate."
- The Suffolk County SPCA says 76 cats, including five kittens, were rescued from deplorable conditions inside a Mastic Beach home.
- Prosecutors say Jose Suarez was the getaway driver after Esteban Alvarado-Bonilla was gunned down in a Central Islip deli.Prosecutors say Jose Suarez was the getaway driver after Esteban Alvarado-Bonilla was gunned down in a Central Islip deli.
- A Centereach father tried to sell drugs at a school playground with his 2-year-old daughter in tow, according to authorities.A Centereach father tried to sell drugs at a school playground with his 2-year-old daughter in tow, according to authorities.
- A veteran Suffolk County crossing guard is accused of forcibly touching a 15-year-old girl in Lindenhurst.
- Keith Bush was convicted in 1976 in the murder and attempted rape of 14-year-old Sherese Watson.Keith Bush was convicted in 1976 in the murder and attempted rape of 14-year-old Sherese Watson.
- Smithtown residents called on the town board Thursday to reject a proposed four-story, 130-room hotel on the Watermill Caterers property.
- State Sen. John Brooks stopped by the News 12 studio to answer viewer questions and cover topics such as veterans' issues, school funding, tax relief and more.
- Dressbarn says it expects to have all its 650 stores closed in the first half of 2020.Dressbarn says it expects to have all its 650 stores closed in the first half of 2020.