Attorney: Young driver remorseful after fatal hit-and-runPosted: Updated:
A recent Commack High School graduate pleaded not guilty during her arraignment Friday after allegedly killing a man in a hit-and-run crash.
Police say Sare Rodriguez, 32, was walking on the shoulder of Broadway in Huntington when he was run over by a vehicle driven by 17-year-old Veronica Borracci.
Police say the crash happened near the intersection of Broadway and Legacy Court. Rodriguez was rushed to Huntington Hospital after the crash, but died from his injuries. Borracci voluntarily turned herself in about nine hours after the incident.
Borracci’s parents spoke to reporters before entering the courtroom.
“First let me say how sorry we are to the Rodriguez family. We cannot express our condolences deeply enough, and I know my daughter feels the same,” said Pat Flanagan, Veronica’s mother.
Borracci's lawyer Christopher Cassar said his client was at a girlfriend’s house in Huntington before the incident.
“They were actually cooking cookies and cupcakes, things like that. There was no drinking involved. No allegation of that, or texting,” said Cassar. “She's very, very sorry and upset for what occurred.”
Cassar says his client got her driver’s license three weeks ago. He say she left the scene because she didn’t realize the severity of the incident.
Borracci's lawyer says Borracci will be released on $100,000 bond and is due back in court on Oct. 9. Until then, she is not allowed to drive.
- After losing their son to a drug overdose during the holiday season, a New Hyde Park couple is calling on the suspected drug dealer who allegedly sold their 18-year-old fentanyl-laced heroin to be charged with murder.
- Nassau police say this home burglary is just the latest in a string of break-ins on both the North and South shores over the last three months.
- A Nassau teen who police say confessed to the fatal beating of a witness in an MS-13 trial will be charged as an adult.A Nassau teen who police say confessed to the fatal beating of a witness in an MS-13 trial will be charged as an adult.
- A Suffolk County District Attorney's Office and DEA investigation targeted Men's Health of Smithtown and its owner, Brian Michael Kaufman.A Suffolk County District Attorney's Office and DEA investigation targeted Men's Health of Smithtown and its owner, Brian Michael Kaufman.
- Police have arrested a Bay Shore man who is accused of striking two pedestrians with his vehicle and fleeing the scene.Police have arrested a Bay Shore man who is accused of striking two pedestrians with his vehicle and fleeing the scene.
- Chopper 12 was overhead Friday for a look progress on the new arena as construction continues.Chopper 12 was overhead Friday for a look progress on the new arena as construction continues.
- President Trump minimized new warnings from U.S. intelligence experts that Russia is interfering in this year's election campaign, and revived old grievances in claiming that Democrats are determined to undermine the legitimacy of his presidency.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo is renewing his push to legalize adult use of marijuana -- but before working on a proposal, he's planning to do research in states where it is already legal.