What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Autumn Pork Milanese
Ingredients for the pork chop:
• 2 bone in pork chops (pounded thin, edges scored to prevent curling)
• 1/2 cup flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
• 3 eggs (scrambled)
• 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
• 1 qt neutral oil (vegetable or canola)
• 1/2 lemon
• salt to taste
Ingredients for the autumn salad:
• 1 cup rocket arugula
• 1 cup watercress
• 1/2 bunch frisée
• 1 lb Brussel’s Sprouts (sliced thin)
• 1 shallot sliced thin
• 1 Gala Apple (sliced into wedges)
• 1/4 cup honey
• 4 oz shredded NY white cheddar
• 4 oz Honey Dijon Vinaigrette (Cindy’s)
• 4 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Salt and pepper to taste.
Directions for pork chop:
•Preheat a large sauce pan with oil on medium high heat.
•Prepare breading station, flour, eggs and bread crumbs.
•Dredge pounded pork chops in seasoned flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs.
•Place breaded pork chops carefully away from you in hot oil.
•Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once chops are browned remove from oil, set on a cooling rack, season with salt and fresh lemon juice. Set aside.
Directions for the autumn salad:
•Place sliced Brussel’s Sprouts and sliced shallots on a parchment papered sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
•Place sliced apples on a parchment papered sheet tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and honey.
•Place Brussel’s and apples in a preheated 450F degree oven for 15 minutes or until sprouts are slightly browned and apples are slightly soft.
•In a medium size mixing bowl, combine arugula, watercress, torn frisée, cheddar cheese and Honey Dijon dressing.
•Working quickly add warm sprouts and apples to salad and mix. This step should be done right before serving so Salad doesn’t wilt.
•Gently place Autumn salad over pork chops.