In lieu of live baseball, MLB announces 'Opening Day at Home'
By Kyle Kandetzki/News 12 Digital
In a coronavirus-free world, baseball would be back Thursday. The 2020 season is on hold, but there still will be a ton of games on TV.
Major League Baseball is filling the void with Opening Day at Home — a showcase of all 30 teams in iconic games that took place over the last 25 years. The games will be available on multiple viewing options — ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, MLB Network, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
The league calls the day an opportunity to "feel a sense of community … while underscoring the importance of staying home and staying healthy."
Among the games to look out for:
For Yankees fans:
- Yankees vs. Indians, (Opening Day, 1996) at 1 p.m. on MLB Network: Derek Jeter's first Opening Day where he immediately impressed the home fans.
- Yankees vs. Red Sox (ALC Game 7, 2003) at 2:50 p.m. on MLB's Facebook: Aaron Boone sends the Yanks to the World Series with a walk-off home run.
- 2017 Home Run Derby at 6 p.m. on ESPN2: Aaron Judge hits 47 HRs on his way to a Home Run Derby championship in Miami.
For Mets fans:
- Mets vs. Dodgers, (NLDS Game 5, 2015) at 6 p.m. on @MLB Twitter: Daniel Murphy sends the Mets to the NLCS after a heated series vs. Los Angeles.
- 2019 Home Run Derby at 6 p.m. on ESPN2: Rookie Pete Alonso slugs his way to a Home Run Derby title.
For Red Sox fans:
- Red Sox vs. Yankees (ALCS Game 4, 2004) at 6 p.m. on MLB's Facebook: The Red Sox make their historic climb back from down 3-0 with a 12-inning thriller.
For Phillies fans:
- Phillies vs. Cubs (2019) at 9 a.m. on @MLB Twitter. Bryce Harper hits a bomb of a walk-off grand slam and sprints the bases.
Also on the schedule — two additional Home Run derbies at 6 p.m. on ESPN2, seven playoff Game 7s, two no-hitters and a perfect game. Every single team will be represented. The full schedule is right here:
The event is also a charitable occasion, where the MLB will raise money for Feed America, Meals on Wheels, the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and more.
QUIZ: Test your MLB knowledge