Sears at Smith Haven Mall slated to close in MayPosted: Updated:
Another Long Island Sears location is closing down.
After 50 years, Sears at Smith Haven Mall will close in May.
The store closing will cause the loss of 77 jobs.
After this store closes, Long Island will be left with only two of the department stores.
They are located at Westfield Sunrise Mall in Massapequa and Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream.
- John Mirando will become the third acting city manager in two years to step aside. Last year, Mirando replaced Rob Agostisi, who replaced Michael Tangney, who replaced the city's last permanent manager, Jack Schnirman.
- China's massive travel restrictions, house-to-house checks, huge isolation wards and lockdowns of entire cities bought the world valuable time to prepare for the global spread of the new virus.
- While lawmakers in Albany are debating over the new state budget, there's a side issue they're considering that could be included in the spending plan – bail reform.
- Monday's massive Dow Jones drop-off was scary for many people who are left wondering just how much of an impact the coronavirus will have on their financial health.
- There are still a few weeks before the Major League Baseball season begins, but the Yankees are facing a major setback.
- A sold-out memorial service was held Monday for basketball star Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna, who were among nine people killed last month in a helicopter crash in Los Angeles.
- The toy fair runs at the Jacob Javits Center from Feb. 22 through 25.The toy fair runs at the Jacob Javits Center from Feb. 22 through 25.
- Chopper 12 was overhead Friday for a look progress on the new arena as construction continues.Chopper 12 was overhead Friday for a look progress on the new arena as construction continues.
- The four-time Stanley Cup champion had his number retired in front of a Nassau Coliseum crowd Friday night.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter. They brought three puppies!