LIRR expansion project temporarily closes part of New Hyde Park RoadPosted: Updated:
LIRR riders were urged to give themselves extra time Monday if commuting from New Hyde Park, as platforms at the station will be temporarily relocated to west of the existing station.
Crews are demolishing a railroad grade crossing and building a new LIRR station.
In order to complete the project, New Hyde Park Road will be closed between Plaza Avenue and Fourth Avenue.
Temporary platforms have been built for commuters to use during the construction.
The railroad crossing is the third of eight grade crossing elimination projects under the LIRR's expansion project known as the Third Track Project. The project is set to be completed in 2022.
MTA officials say the project may be inconvenient, but will be worth the wait.
However, the project is controversial as some residents have complained about the noise and vibrations, while others say it is necessary.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a domestic travel advisory for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to try to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- President Donald Trump gave an update on the coronavirus pandemic from the White House Rose Garden Sunday evening.
- Places of worship around Long Island are practicing social distancing due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Nassau County Executive Laura Curran said Sunday that the coronavirus death toll in the county has climbed by five, for a total of 39.
- Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
A guide to the national park sites and trails on Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York City and the Hudson Valley.