Nutrition label changes aimed at helping consumers make healthier choicesPosted: Updated:
A new change to food labels could help consumers make healthier choices in the New Year.
Starting this week, new FDA rules will require nutritional labels to be more specific.
The new guidelines require two side-by-side columns: One with nutritional information for a single serving, and a second with information for eating the entire package.
“I notoriously read labels,” says Vladimir Polchaninoff of New Hyde Park, who likes the new emphasis on serving size. “A serving is a very variable. I mean, what's a serving of a potato chip? Three. Nobody's going to eat three. So, it makes a lot more sense to get a little bit more American, more realistic with what's actually in the can.”
"The new food label is designed to be more user friendly," says Plainview Hospital Chief Clinical Dietitian Nina Eng. She says the enlarged and emboldened calorie information on the new labels will help educate consumers.
“The new label is a stepping stone for contributing to a healthier lifestyle,” Eng says. “It's enabling the consumer to make better choices. They'll know what they're getting.”
Another change is manufacturers are now required to disclose added sugars on labels. For example, the label on a box of Life cereal shows it has 8 grams of added sugar per single serving.
“I have diabetes. I'm always worried about added sugars,” says Terry Wulforst of East Norwich, who adds that the new nutritional labels will help her steer clear of foods that are bad for her health. “That's a good thing because I always have to check the sugars and the carbs.”
- More than 100 tenants at an apartment building in Hempstead were forced from their homes Wednesday due to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
- Chester is being temporarily cared for by foster owners.Chester is being temporarily cared for by foster owners.
- Just hours after receiving 99.7% of the vote from the Baseball Writers' Association of America to elect him into Baseball Hall of Fame, Yankees legend Derek Jeter got the Cooperstown jersey to show for it.
- Manning was the MVP of Super Bowl XLII and Super Bowl XLVI in his team's victories over the New England Patriots.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo proposed changes to how aid is allocated to school districts across Long Island as part of the new state budget.Gov. Andrew Cuomo proposed changes to how aid is allocated to school districts across Long Island as part of the new state budget.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. They brought three puppies!This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. They brought three puppies!
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.