New laws take effect across LI as 2020 beginsPosted: Updated:
The start of 2020 means new laws are taking effect across the Island.
Starting Wednesday, a new law went into effect in Nassau that bans the sale of most flavored e-cigarette products.
The manager at Smoke Stax in Hicksville cleared his shelves of the sweet and fruity flavors that many say are enticing children and teens to vape.
Going forward, only four kinds of e-cigarettes will be legal to sell in Nassau — the flavorless variety, as well as tobacco, mint and menthol flavors. This is just one of several new laws going into effect in the new year.
Supporters of the law say it will help keep kids off nicotine. But people who use flavored e-cigarettes won't have to go far to get them because the products are still legal in Suffolk.
Another law is aimed at improving boating safety, called Breanna's Law. It is named after 11-year-old Breanna Lieneck who was killed in a boating accident on the Great South Bay back in 2005.
The new measure will require people to take a state-approved safety course before they're allowed to operate a motorized boat. It will be phased in over the next five years.
Thousands of Long Islanders will be making more money because the minimum wage in Nassau and Suffolk will increase from $12 to $13 per hour.
- According to police, 24-year-old Gabriel Perez was hit at the intersection of Portion Road and North Morris Avenue.
- Deontrae Green pleaded guilty to attempted murder and other charges.Deontrae Green pleaded guilty to attempted murder and other charges.
- Sperling died Wednesday in Boca Raton after a lengthy illness, spokeswoman Terri Lynn said Thursday.Sperling died Wednesday in Boca Raton after a lengthy illness, spokeswoman Terri Lynn said Thursday.
- The third Friday in February is National Caregivers Day. Do you have or know someone who has a caregiver?
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.