Doctors: Untreated common cold symptoms could progress into pneumoniaPosted: Updated:
Doctors are reminding the public that what could start out as the common cold can quickly progress to something more serious like pneumonia.
Dr. Sameer Khanijo, a pulmonary critical care physician at North Shore University Hospital, says people should be aware of potentially changing symptoms, including coughing, fever, chills and difficulty breathing. He says a person's overall health, age and underlying medical conditions can impact a patient fighting pneumonia.
"As the pneumonia gets worse, it can also cause impact on your heart. It can cause impact on the rest of your body. It can make your blood pressure lower to the point where you're not getting blood flow to the rest of your organs," says Dr. Khanijo.
Doctors say not every case of pneumonia will require antibiotics.
The reminder comes after the sudden death of ESPN college football reporter Edward Aschoff, 34, who tweeted earlier this month to ask if anyone was familiar with multifocal pneumonia, saying he was being treated with antibiotics. It's unclear if Aschoff had any underlying medical condition.
- A candlelight vigil is being held in Center Moriches Sunday evening to remember a young boy who was allegedly killed by his father.
It’s time to ‘pawty!’ Is your pooch an all-pro? Submit a photo of your furry friend for a chance to win a prize!
- Take time today to celebrate your spouse - it's National Spouses Day!Take time today to celebrate your spouse - it's National Spouses Day!
- This weekend marks 30 years since a passenger plane crashed on Nassau County's North Shore, killing nearly half of the people on board.
- A house fire Saturday in Plainview left a 65-year-old woman dead.A house fire Saturday in Plainview left a 65-year-old woman dead.
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Jake's Rescue Ranch, Inc. They brought five puppies!This week's dogs are up for adoption at Jake's Rescue Ranch, Inc. They brought five puppies!
- A new viral illness being watched with a wary eye around the globe accelerated its spread in China on Sunday with 56 deaths so far.