Parents pull children out of school to protest proposed mandatory HPV, flu vaccine legislationPosted: Updated:
It was a day of protest all across the Island and New York state.
Parents pulled their children out of school to oppose legislation working its way through the state Legislature that would mandate flu and HPV vaccinations for children.
A group gathered outside Democratic Sen. Todd Kaminsky's office, who is on the state's health committee, in Rockville Centre. Protesters say it should be up to parents and physicians, not the government, to decide what vaccines children should get.
Some also say they aren't anti-vaccine, but rather that parents should have a choice when considering their child's reaction to a vaccine.
Dr. Sharon Nachman, the chief of pediatric infectious diseases at Stony Brook Children's Hospital, says the flu vaccine should be mandatory for children and the HPV vaccine probably should be too.
Kristy Bruno, of Great River, says her children are up to date on all state-mandated vaccines so far, but she doesn't have her children get the flu shot anymore after one of them had a severe reaction to it.
A spokesman for Sen. Kaminsky says the bills for mandatory HPV and flu vaccines have been introduced every year in the Senate since 2014 but have never been voted on.
- Stop & Shop, King Kullen, and Walmart have announced they will start restricting store aisles to one-way only.
- The 'Hope is Alive' Easter service will stream Sunday on Facebook and YouTube.The 'Hope is Alive' Easter service will stream Sunday on Facebook and YouTube.
- The money comes from the recently passed $2 trillion CARES Act.The money comes from the recently passed $2 trillion CARES Act.
- Parts of Shanghai Disney Resort have reopened and it's already implementing the new guidelines.Parts of Shanghai Disney Resort have reopened and it's already implementing the new guidelines.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued new guidelines for essential workers, such as those in the health care and food supply industries.
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!