Bay Shore residents fight against plan to build assisted living facility in neighborhoodPosted: Updated:
A Bay Shore neighborhood is fighting against a plan to build an assisted living facility in their community.
The Montfort Spiritual Center reached a deal with Sunrise Senior Living to sell its 14-acre property on South Saxon Avenue. Sunrise Senior Living wants to build its 11th facility on Long Island on the property.
Representatives say the plan includes nearly 200 units, and that Sunrise Senior Living is asking the Islip Town Planning Board to convert zoning on the property from residential to commercial in order to finalize the deal.
Doris Kennedy, of Bay Shore, and several of her neighbors say their neighborhood will become filled with traffic and give other properties in the area the potential to become commercial. Suffolk Leg. Tom Cilmi says he will be joining the residents to prevent the zoning change.
Sunrise Senior Living says while the zoning change is required, it promises to be good neighbors and that the facility is residential in nature.
The assisted living facility cannot be built at the property without the zoning change. The Islip Town Planning Board is set to consider Sunrise Senior Living's request on Dec. 12.
- A man who prosecutors say is a local leader of the street gang MS-13 pleaded guilty to murder Monday.
- A storm could deliver a burst of snowfall Wednesday morning, potentially making for a messy Wednesday commute.
- The New York Yankees landed the biggest prize of the free agent market, adding Gerrit Cole to their rotation with a record $324 million, nine-year contract on Tuesday night, a person familiar with the contract told The Associated Press.
- A state Department of Transportation worker has been arrested for allegedly stealing more than $12,000 after falsifying time sheets.
- Former President Bill Clinton stopped by a Deer Park laundromat Tuesday.Former President Bill Clinton stopped by a Deer Park laundromat Tuesday.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Kent Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 2259 River Road Calverton, NY 11933. Their phone number is 631-727-5731.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.