Manhattan man confirmed as New York's 2nd vaping-related death

Posted: Updated:

A second vaping-related death in New York has been confirmed amid a call for an immediate ban on all e-cigarettes and vaping devices.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the death Wednesday, only identifying the victim as a male in his 30s from Manhattan.

In response, American Medical Association President Patrice Harris said, "The recent lung illness outbreak has alarmed physicians and the broader public health community and shined a light on the fact that we have very little evidence about the short- and long-term health consequences of e-cigarettes and vaping products." The AMA cited a surge in underage use of e-cigarettes as well as a recent outbreak of lung illness tied to vaping. The AMA is behind a push to ban all e-cigarettes not approved by the FDA, and so far none have been approved.

Dr. Sameer Khanjo, a pulmonologist with North Shore University Hospital, points out traces of vitamin E acetate have been found in many of the patients diagnosed with vaping-related illnesses.

"About 86% of the cases reported nationally are of people who have been vaping THC-based products and the illicit products are what carry the vitamin E acetate within them," says Khanijo. "It's sort of used as a cutting agent to make the product last longer."

On Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that it "has identified vitamin E acetate as a chemical of concern ... and recommends that people should not use THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping products."

While many agree with action relating to vaping, not everyone wants to see it happen.

"If they don't know all the facts about it just yet, I don't think an all-out ban is the way to go, because for some people it does actually help them to quit cigarettes," says Kristine Kliche, of Farmingdale.

The Food and Drug Administration has been widely criticized for repeatedly pushing back its own deadline to begin reviewing thousands of vaping products on the market. The deadline is now next May.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."