Fire destroys historic Newton's Garage in Lake Ronkonkoma

Posted: Updated:

The fire tore through Sam Auto Repair shop on the corner of Ronkonkoma Avenue and Portion Road. Fire officials say it started around 12:30 p.m.

Ronkonkoma Fire Chief Kevin Murray says the fire started in one of the cars at the shop.

"The owner of the business was working on a vehicle inside the garage," says Murray. "At some point, while working on the vehicle, the fire broke out."

Murray says flames caused the building's roof to collapse, and wrecking crews knocked down walls that were unstable.

Sam Auto Repair is housed in a building that was once known as Newton's Garage. Residents say it's one of the oldest buildings in Lake Ronkonkoma.

"Historical Newton's Garage. I've lived in Ronkonkoma my whole life and I'm very sad to see it gone," says Annette Dale. "But nobody got hurt I hope."

Newton's Garage was opened in 1921.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."