Students take part in 'sick out' at Northport MS over mysterious odors

Posted: Updated:

A "sick out" was held at Northport Middle School Thursday, and parents say they organized the rally due to mysterious odors in the school.

As News 12 reported, students and parents have complained of a smell in a newly renovated area.

Parents: Foul odors in Northport MS continue to make kids sick
'Sick out' planned in protest of foul stench at Northport Middle School

The children say it's making them ill. Teachers say something in the building has been making them sick for decades. School officials say it's due to a new HVAC system.

"We are here today because answers are required," says Lauren Handler, of Northport. "We are four decades now of parents complaining to our school board that our teachers and students are getting sick and we need answers and we need them now."

According to the school, indoor air quality inspections were done and no problems were found.

Protesters held pictures of sick children and of others who have died from rare forms of cancer. Parents say other students suffer from asthma, headaches and vomiting.

Bethany Watts says tests showed that her daughter had high levels of carbon monoxide in her blood that were equivalent to a two-pack-a-day smoker. Watts says since she transferred her daughter to another middle school in the district, her daughter's levels have gone back to normal.

The district superintendent said the Board of Education met Thursday night to discuss testing as well as develop a committee to review the matter.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."