New treatment gives hope for those battling cystic fibrosisPosted: Updated:
A new drug called Trikafta is changing the lives of those who are diagnosed with cystic fibrosis.
It has just been approved by the FDA and trials were held for the drug at Cohen Children's Medical Center.
The disease causes thick mucus to build up in the body's organs, damaging their lungs and digestive systems.
Doctors at Cohen Children's Medical Center say the new drug reduces mucus and infection in about 90% of those with the disease.
Tina and Tara Trumillo are sisters from Yaphank who both have cystic fibrosis and took part in the clinical trials. They say they can't believe the difference the drug has made in their lives.
Each year, the sisters hold a walk to raise money for cystic fibrosis research. Both of them say they are thrilled all their hard work has paid off.
Cystic fibrosis affects an estimated 30,000 people in the United States.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday that in 14 days he will revoke National Grid's license for its downstate gas franchise if the utility doesn't create a plan to bring gas to customers that were denied the service.
- Long Island is preparing for what looks like the area's first snowfall of the season Tuesday.Long Island is preparing for what looks like the area's first snowfall of the season Tuesday.
- Merrill Zorn, of Zorn's of Bethpage, gives us tips on how make a delicious turkey for the Thanksgiving dinner.
- News 12's Lily Stolzberg put the trivia aside and asked people to talk about their pet peeves!News 12's Lily Stolzberg put the trivia aside and asked people to talk about their pet peeves!
The deadline to submit your pet in the Cutest Pets Contest is approaching! Make sure you send us a photo of your pet by noon on Nov. 13!
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury