AAA study: End of daylight saving time causes increase in car accidentsPosted: Updated:
Daylight saving time ending could pose an extra danger for drivers, according to a study by AAA.
The study found that when darkness comes earlier in the day, motor vehicle and pedestrian crashes spike.
"Very simply -- it's harder to see at night than it is in the daytime," said Robert Sinclair of AAA. "And it's a very rapid shift where we go from having daylight when we're driving home in 5 p.m. rush hour to complete darkness."
Representatives from AAA says concentration and decision-making can also be affected by time changes.
Residents in Long Island tell News 12 that they do not like the changes and challenges that daylight saving time poses.
"I don't think it works for us anymore," says Phyllis Montuori of Plainview. "I'm a teacher -- I don't want to get up and go to work in the dark."
A new poll found that seven in 10 Americans prefer not to switch back and forth to mark daylight saving time.
To avoid accidents, AAA has several tips for drivers.
They say to follow at safe driving distances to have time to react and to adjust speeds to compensate for low-light conditions. The agency also tells drivers to approach crosswalks and intersections with care and to check for cyclists and pedestrians before turning.
- The opening statements in the trial against former Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota are set to begin Thursday.
- If you're thinking about refreshing your hair color, there are some amazing options out there - including one that is organic.
- An alleged Bloods gang member charged in the fatal shooting of a man in Deer Park in 2017 is headed to trial.
- Chris Morgan, the man dubbed the "Bagel Boss Guy," has been hospitalized after suffering an apparent stroke, according to his manager.
- It's National Pickle Day! What is your favorite kind of pickle?It's National Pickle Day! What is your favorite kind of pickle?
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury