Officer honored after rescuing disabled man from North Babylon house firePosted: Updated:
A Suffolk police officer was honored as a hero Thursday after rescuing a man in a wheelchair from his burning home.
Officials say the fire broke out around 3 p.m. Wednesday inside of a North Babylon home.
When the home on Woods Road went up in flames, 73-year-old Michael Goldstein, who is disabled, was trapped on the second floor. His wife, Lily, was able to escape.
Suffolk County crossing guard Sharon Doogan tried to go inside the home to help and discovered that Goldstein was stuck at the top of the stairs. Doogan flagged down Suffolk County Police Officer Francis McKay nearby to help.
Officer McKay carried Goldstein down the stairs, got him into a wheelchair and out of the house.
Everyone escaped the fire safely, and no one was injured. However, Doogan was treated for smoke inhalation.
Police say two good Samaritans were also inside the house trying to help.
Officer McKay was honored by Suffolk County officials and was presented with the Town of Babylon's highest honor, the heroism award, on Thursday.
Investigators are working to figure out what started the fire.
- An 85-year-old woman says she was essential trapped in her home after PSEG Long Island trimmed a tree outside her house.
- Long Island is preparing for cold that will last through Wednesday night, potentially breaking some records.
- State health officials gave a presentation in Stony Brook Tuesday into why certain cancer rates have spiked in Centereach, Selden and Farmingdale.
- Parents met at the New Hyde Park Road School Tuesday night to talk about the latest vaping products being used by their children and the potential impact it could have on their health.
- he FBI released its annual hate crimes report Tuesday, declaring that the number of reported hate crimes across the United States is down for the first time in years.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury