Police: Person stole Corvette with engine still running from Coram 7-ElevenPosted: Updated:
Police are looking for whoever stole a car that was left running - with the keys still inside - from a 7-Eleven on Friday.
Security camera footage shows a man walking up to a red Corvette parked at a 7-Eleven on Route 112 in Coram Friday night.
The video freezes, but police say the car was stolen around the same time surveillance footage cuts out.
Danielle Bovenzi says it was her husband's 2005 red Corvette.
"He came here to get dog food and ice cream for our daughter, and when he got out of the car and went inside and when he came back out the car was gone," she says.
According to police, the car was left running and unattended - with the keys still inside.
Bovenzi says the car is a push start, meaning as long as the keys are on your person, you can get in and drive off. She claims the key fob wasn't working the night the vehicle was taken.
Bovenzi says when her husband got out of the car to go into the 7-Eleven, she says he noticed a gray SUV in the parking lot that he had seen just minutes before at a different 7-Eleven in Selden. They think he was followed there.
Bovenzi says she tracked her husband's cellphone which was also in the car at the time, but they found it on the side of the road.
She has a message for the person who stole her car.
"Karma comes around to everyone, if you still have it, dump it somewhere. Hopefully, there's nothing wrong with it, but we'd really like our property back," she says.
Bovenzi says the Corvette's license plate says L-I-2-4-7-TOWING.
Police are asking anyone with information to call Suffolk Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
- The long-awaited trial of Suffolk County's former top prosecutor began Tuesday, and a familiar face was on hand to watch.The long-awaited trial of Suffolk County's former top prosecutor began Tuesday, and a familiar face was on hand to watch.
- Police say a woman is wanted for spending thousands of dollars using stolen credit cards in West Babylon.Police say a woman is wanted for spending thousands of dollars using stolen credit cards in West Babylon.
- Opening statements got underway Tuesday in the trial of a Holbrook man accused of driving drunk and killing a Boy Scout in Manorville.Opening statements got underway Tuesday in the trial of a Holbrook man accused of driving drunk and killing a Boy Scout in Manorville.
- A West Hempstead man is under arrest, accused of exposing himself in front of store customers.A West Hempstead man is under arrest, accused of exposing himself in front of store customers.
- Police say a man was robbed at knifepoint Saturday night in Hauppauge.Police say a man was robbed at knifepoint Saturday night in Hauppauge.
- An 85-year-old woman says she was essential trapped in her home after PSEG Long Island trimmed a tree outside her house.
- Long Island is preparing for cold that will last through Wednesday night, potentially breaking some records.
- State health officials gave a presentation in Stony Brook Tuesday into why certain cancer rates have spiked in Centereach, Selden and Farmingdale.
- Parents met at the New Hyde Park Road School Tuesday night to talk about the latest vaping products being used by their children and the potential impact it could have on their health.
- he FBI released its annual hate crimes report Tuesday, declaring that the number of reported hate crimes across the United States is down for the first time in years.