South Shore areas hit with flooding, high surfPosted: Updated:
The first nor'easter of the fall season made its presence known Thursday with high surf in Long Beach.
Streets flooded in areas across the South Shore due to high tide. Lindenhurst and Babylon saw flooding start Wednesday night.
In Islip, crews rolled out the town's storm-fighting equipment. The tankers can suck up to 85,000 gallons of water from flooded streets and can remove water from overflowing storm drains.
MORE: Weather Center
Suffolk police said they were ready in case of storm emergencies.
"In a weather emergency, 911 should be reserved for emergency calls such as trees down that are affecting people directly or for trees down with wires," said Chief Stuart Cameron.
Suffolk police said residents with non-emergencies should call 631-852-COPS.
Officials also reminded residents to refrain from driving through flooded streets and to stay away from any downed wires.
On the North Shore, a coastal flood advisory was issued from 9 p.m. until noon Friday.
Southampton town officials declared a local state of emergency because of potential flooding on Dune Road.
- A robbery occurred at a Deer Park gas station Sunday night, according to an employee.A robbery occurred at a Deer Park gas station Sunday night, according to an employee.
- A man is wanted for allegedly stealing four wind chimes from a porch in Farmingville.A man is wanted for allegedly stealing four wind chimes from a porch in Farmingville.
- Another Long Island community is cracking down on reckless bike riding.Another Long Island community is cracking down on reckless bike riding.
- George's Prepared Foods is recalling more than 6,000 pounds of ready-to-eat pork and turkey sausage patties, some sold at Walmart, because of possible Salmonella contamination.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!