Bill could fund program for free continuing education to volunteer 1st respondersPosted: Updated:
A program to fund college tuition for volunteer first responders is getting a guarantee from Nassau lawmakers.
The free tuition program for first responders is funded by a federal grant program. But last year, funding was pulled.
To ensure the program continues in Nassau County, legislators are announcing a law that would always make sure the free tuition program is funded.
Bellmore volunteer firefighter Ron Gibney, who is getting his associate's degree at Nassau Community College, says this program is a great help.
VIDEO: Volunteer firefighter says free tuition program gives him 'peace of mind'
"I feel great about it. It's definitely something stress-relieving. You don't have to worry about being in debt when you graduate from college. It gives me peace of mind that I'm able to stay here in Nassau County and continue my volunteer service," said Gibney.
A total of 170 volunteer first responders are currently enrolled in the program, which this year's federal grant money paid for. Legislators estimate it would cost the county about half a million dollars a year to replace federal dollars.
The Nassau Legislature is expected to vote on the tuition bill for volunteer first responders by the end of the month.
- Police say a car crash briefly shut down a section of Ruland Road in Melville early Saturday morning.
- A softball game dedicated to raising awareness of suicide in the law enforcement community will be held in Baldwin Saturday.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Just in time for its 100th Anniversary, National Sweetest Day encourages everyone to be generous even in the smallest ways.
- This week's workout comes from Chris LoVarco at American Black Belt Academy.This week's workout comes from Chris LoVarco at American Black Belt Academy.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!