NTSB recommends all limos come equipped with seat belts 1 year after fatal crashPosted: Updated:
The National Transportation Safety Board issued its recommendation today that calls for seat belts to be installed in all new vehicles that are modified to be used as limousines.
The agency is also recommending that the seats in stretch limos meet minimum performance standards to ensure the vehicle's integrity during a crash.
The recommendations come following two deadly crashes in New York. A crash in upstate New York killed 20 people and a crash in Cutchogue took the lives of four women on a winery tour.
The mother of one of the women who survived the fatal Cutchogue crash says the move is a start.
"It's definitely a start in the right direction, and we're actually very encouraged that this has been recommended," says Nancy Dimonte. "We're very, very encouraged by it."
Earlier this year, the state Assembly says it passed a number of new safety measures that include requiring stretch limos sold after January 2020 to have seat belts and increasing DOT inspections and DMV reviews of driving records.
Michael Asciolla, of Red Carpet Limousine & Coach, says he wants every vehicle in his fleet to have seat belts. He says his company is already taking steps to improve driver and passenger safety.
"All of our drivers are drug-tested and alcohol-tested on a random basis," says Asciolla. "We do all this through New York state DOT."
- Some Nassau County villages are taking the fight against the deadly opioid epidemic to federal court.
- Police say three people were hit by a car in Syosset Wednesday afternoon.Police say three people were hit by a car in Syosset Wednesday afternoon.
- The Senate on Wednesday rejected a Democratic attempt to give relief to people hit hardest by new limits on how much of their state and local tax bill they can deduct from federal taxes.
- Nassau County is redoubling its efforts to repair its rockiest roads.Nassau County is redoubling its efforts to repair its rockiest roads.
- Halloween is just around the corner, and there's an innovative way to let people know that not all trick-or-treaters are the same.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?