Man accused of fatally shooting brother held without bailPosted: Updated:
The man accused of fatally shooting his brother was in tears Wednesday during his arraignment before being held without bail on a second-degree murder charge.
Dimitri Robert, 27, is accused of shooting his brother, Devontay Robert, 17, in the head after an incident in Coram Tuesday evening.
Police were called around 5:30 p.m. to Devontay Robert’s home on Judith Drive in Coram about a violent domestic incident. When officer arrived, they say Dimitri Robert was armed and standing near a parked car. They say Devontay Robert was sitting in the passenger’s seat.
Detective Lt. Kevin Beyrer says the victim was “not involved in a fight.”
“Other family members were trying to calm Dimitri down. The 17-year-old was not involved in calming him down. He was an innocent victim just sitting in the car by himself," says Beyrer.
According to court documents, the responding officers shouted repeatedly for Dimitri Robert to show them his hands.
Instead, prosecutors say he got into the car and shot his brother once in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Two patrol officers who responded witnessed the shooting and tackled Dimitri Robert on his front lawn before taking him into custody without incident. The motive for the killing is still not known.
Prosecutors said in court that Dimitri Robert has a 27-page criminal history, including convictions and arrests for drug charges.
On social media, friends and family members are remembering Devontay Robert as young man with a bright future who just graduated from Longwood High School in June. The Longwood School District issued a statement expressing condolences to the Robert family and letting current students know that grief counselors are available.
Richard Stafford, Robert’s attorney, says his client is also devastated.
“He was visibly upset as you can see in the courtroom. He loved his brother and he didn't want this to happen,” says Stafford.
- A Coram family was trapped in their home Thursday without power following a nor'easter that took down trees and power lines across Long Island.
- Nassau County Executive Laura Curran stopped by the News 12 Long Island studio to answer viewer questions on the air.
- The New York State Board of Regents chancellor issued positive and encouraging words Thursday directed toward officials in the Hempstead School District.
- Juul Labs stopped selling fruit and dessert flavors Thursday, acknowledging the public's "lack of trust" in the vaping industry.
- Traffic is once again flowing as the MTA completes construction of an LIRR bridge and reopens Covert Avenue in New Hyde Park.
- Police say they've arrested a man in connection to a string of burglaries at a Hicksville business.Police say they've arrested a man in connection to a string of burglaries at a Hicksville business.
- A Mastic man was sentenced to 12 years to life in prison after admitting he sexually assaulted a woman in Patchogue in May of last year.A Mastic man was sentenced to 12 years to life in prison after admitting he sexually assaulted a woman in Patchogue in May of last year.
- A Hempstead man is accused of leading police on a high-speed chase from Nassau to Suffolk following a road-rage incident.A Hempstead man is accused of leading police on a high-speed chase from Nassau to Suffolk following a road-rage incident.
- A Southampton woman is facing several felony charges for allegedly charging immigrants bogus fees while she was working at Immigration Legal Services of Long Island.A Southampton woman is facing several felony charges for allegedly charging immigrants bogus fees while she was working at Immigration Legal Services of Long Island.
- A Queens man pleaded guilty today in federal court to running a "cook lab" at a house in Mastic.A Queens man pleaded guilty today in federal court to running a "cook lab" at a house in Mastic.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.