Nassau police commissioner urges witnesses to send video of Oceanside stabbing to policePosted: Updated:
Nassau police held a meeting Tuesday night about the attack that left an Oceanside High School student dead last week.
Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder fielded dozens of questions from concerned members of the Oceanside community eight days after 16-year-old Khaseen Morris was stabbed and killed in front of a group of people.
Much of the fight was captured on cellphone video and quickly plastered on social media.
Tyler Flach, 16, was charged with second-degree murder last week and indicted by a grand jury Tuesday morning.
Ryder says he wants to set the record straight on three things in particular -- the number of people who were there, what they did to help and what some could have done better.
"A lot of kids stayed and helped us. A lot of kids gave us information, thank you. Some kids left. They may not have seen anything and that's fine. Again, we're not asking you to jump into a knife fight, but if you took a video, instead of posting it on social media, send it to where it should be -- in the hands of the police," Ryder said.
Ryder said there were between 40 and 50 people in total in the parking lot at the time, including students, shop workers and other bystanders.
He says 11 911 calls were made right away, and a dozen more calls have been made to Crime Stoppers.
Steven Ballin says he was sitting in his car when it happened.
"The students were helping him. He was going into a state of unconsciousness. They were slapping his face and saying 'Wake up, the police are coming,'" said Ballin.
The commissioner says more arrests will be coming soon.
The DA's office has not said when the indictment against Flach will be unsealed.
Teen accused of fatally stabbing Oceanside High School student indicted
Attorney for teen accused in deadly stabbing of Oceanside HS student appears in court
Lido Beach teen ordered held without bail in fatal Oceanside stabbing
Officials: Person charged with murder in Oceanside stabbing
Police: Oceanside teen stabbed in brawl as dozens watched, recorded incident
- Long Island residents are cleaning up Thursday after a nor'easter struck the area with rain and high winds, bringing down trees.
- ‘InfluenceHER’ is a News12+ exclusive original weekly series about local and national women influencing the worlds of business, beauty, fashion, sports, wellness and technology.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Pasta Day! There are over 600 known pasta shapes, what's your favorite?It's National Pasta Day! There are over 600 known pasta shapes, what's your favorite?
- Sources say an unidentified suspect was arrested in Bay Shore for causing a high-speed police chase that spanned several Long Island communities.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.