Police: Nassau officers fatally shoot man who lunged at them with samurai swordPosted: Updated:
Police fatally shot a man in Oceanside Tuesday evening who they say lunged at officers with a sword.
Officers responded to a 911 call just after 6 p.m. following what police say was a fight between a father and son on Columbus Avenue.
"The son was very distraught. He had knives in his hand. He then put down those knives and picked up a samurai sword," says Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder.
Two Nassau officers were forced to shoot the 36-year-old after he lunged at them, according to police. He was rushed to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The two officers were sent to a hospital to be treated for trauma. A third officer was treated for injuries sustained in a car accident while responding to the scene. A fourth officer suffered a back injury while performing CPR on the man.
Police say the man's family told them he suffered from mental illness. They say the man's father does not blame the family for shooting his son.
"The dad was very supportive, understood and actually said the officers did everything they could to stop the son before they had to fire that weapon," says Ryder.
Ryder says the two officers involved in the shooting were among the first to respond to Monday night's deadly stabbing of a teen just blocks away.
- Police say a body was found Sunday morning in Patchogue.Police say a body was found Sunday morning in Patchogue.
- escue crews in New Orleans on Sunday were trying to find a worker missing in the rubble of a hotel that collapsed while under construction but work in the unstable structure must be done delicately, officials said.
- New funding is paving the way for a family friendly park in Blue Point.New funding is paving the way for a family friendly park in Blue Point.
- A Long Island boxer is reportedly in a coma following a knockout in the ring.A Long Island boxer is reportedly in a coma following a knockout in the ring.
- There's a scary celebration underway this month in Rockville Centre.There's a scary celebration underway this month in Rockville Centre.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.
- RAND Luxury is holding an auction of collectible motorcars from brands including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche & beyond at the Nassau County Museum of Art Saturday, Oct. 12.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Bobbi and the Strays. The shelter is located at 2 Rider Place in Freeport. Their phone number is (516) 378-4340.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. The shelter is located in Oceanside. Their phone number is 516-306-4998.