Deadline for unvaccinated students arrives in New York schoolsPosted: Updated:
This is the week unvaccinated students will no longer be allowed in schools, although the deadlines differ by district.
The state Legislature voted to get rid of religious exemptions back in June following a statewide measles outbreak. School superintendents say it is a tricky situation, but they are required to follow the law.
There are several lawsuits currently pending. Parents of children who are not vaccinated are hoping a judge will grant an emergency measure to allow their kids back in school while the cases work their way through the court system.
The Webber family, of Carle Place, sent both of their young girls to school this morning, but they had to be picked up quickly.
"I'm upset. I'm anxious. I'm overwhelmed. But at the same time I'm motivated and determined to fight this because it is completely wrong," said Maxine Webber.
Brian Webber called it a “governmental overstep.”
News 12 reported last week from Nassau University Medical Center where Nassau Health Commissioner Dr. Lawrence Eisenstein said, "immunization saves lives."
"We practice evidence-based medicine," he said. "It's the evidence of thousands of studies done over and over again that establishes the standards of care."
In the Plainview-Old Bethpage School District, Superintendent Dr. Lorna Lewis says they had about 65 students affected by the change in religious exemptions. That number is now down to about 20.
“We're not looking for drama… we have to find a way to solve the problem,” she says.
Parents opposed to vaccine law rally at Nassau University Medical Center
Judge upholds law blocking religious exemptions to vaccines days before school starts
Long Island parents protest vaccination law in Albany
'It could kill him': Long Islanders react to federal court rejecting challenge to NY vaccination law New emergency vaccination rules have some parents worried about upcoming school year
Health officials urge measles vaccinations ahead of holiday travel
- The Suffolk OTB is once again rolling the dice on a bid to open a casino in Medford.The Suffolk OTB is once again rolling the dice on a bid to open a casino in Medford.
- News 12 Long Island meteorologists are tracking the storm, which could bring a quick round of snow to the area on Wednesday morning.
- House Democrats are poised to unveil two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump over his actions in the Ukraine matter, with an announcement expected early Tuesday.
- News 12's Andrew Rappaport caught up with Maxwell Jacob Friedman at Plainview-JFK High School, where he used to be a "ferocious" football player to talk Long Island memories and much more.
- A Holocaust museum that was defaced twice has now sparked an islandwide effort to combat hate crimes.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Kent Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 2259 River Road Calverton, NY 11933. Their phone number is 631-727-5731.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!Do you have photos of the winter storm from the December 2019 storm? We want to see!