Police: 1 dead, 2 teens injured in Mastic Beach crashPosted: Updated:
Officials say a crash in Mastic Beach Friday has killed one person and left two teenage brothers in critical condition.
Police say three William Floyd School District students were involved in a fiery car crash on Pine Road in Mastic Beach.
They say the 20-year-old driver, William Smith, was killed on impact and that his two passengers, teen brothers, were trapped inside the burning car.
Sgt. John Sullivan says when police arrived, the engine compartment of the car was on fire and smoke and flames were in the interior compartment.
"It was grave danger. The officer and good Samaritan were instrumental in saving the lives of the two victims," he says.
Officers say the brothers, 16-year-old Rasin Jackson and 15-year-old Zameer Jackson, were airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital with traumatic head and internal injuries.
Police say the crash happened around 8:45 a.m. when Smith lost control of his Lexus and slammed into a tree in front of 42 Pine Road.
Officials say they are looking at speed as a possible cause of the crash.
Sgt. Sullivan says, "We do have several eyewitnesses reporting the vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed just prior to the accident."
Neighbor Carl Daniels says he heard the crash at the time it happened and ran out of his house to help. "I grabbed my hose, I went over there, hooked it up and they used it to put the fire out," he says.
The neighbor also says he's previously seen Smith speeding through the area and running stop signs. He says the latest incident before the crash happened on Thursday.
Cynthia Smith says she is heartbroken after her nephew William was killed in the crash. She says he was excited about graduating from high school this year.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Sunday that he's moving to ban the sale of flavored electronic cigarettes in the state, labeling it a public health emergency and accusing manufacturers of targeting young people.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Police say a 29-year-old man was killed in a single-vehicle crash Sunday afternoon in Manorville.Police say a 29-year-old man was killed in a single-vehicle crash Sunday afternoon in Manorville.
- Two teens were arrested for allegedly attempting to burglarize a home in North New Hyde Park.Two teens were arrested for allegedly attempting to burglarize a home in North New Hyde Park.
- Students in Suffolk spent part of their weekend collecting diapers for the babies at Stony Brook Children's Hospital.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Jake's Rescue Ranch. The shelter can be contacted via their website or email.
- Here are some of the best photos of the week from the NFL's Week 1.Here are some of the best photos of the week from the NFL's Week 1.
- This week, Jason Aldean performed with Kane Brown and Carly Pearce.This week, Jason Aldean performed with Kane Brown and Carly Pearce.
- LIRR's M9 trains go into service.LIRR's M9 trains go into service.
- Some of the top drag queens from all over the world descended on New York City on Friday.Some of the top drag queens from all over the world descended on New York City on Friday.