Long Island musician Eddie Money dies at 70Posted: Updated:
The family of Long Island native Eddie Money said Friday the 70-year-old musician died following his battle with esophageal cancer.
With his raspy voice and his catchy lyrics, Eddie Money rose to fame with hits like "Two Tickets to Paradise" and "Take Me Home Tonight" in the ‘70s and ‘80s.
Eddie Money, born Edward Joseph Mahoney, grew up in a family of police officers in Levittown, but instead became a rock star. In a 2009 interview with News 12, Money recalled his roots.
“The love I have for my parents, the love that I have for Long Island people…the first rock n’ roll band I had, we came right up out of here, out of Levittown,” he said.
Fingers, from WBAB Radio, said he quickly became friends with Money when they first met in the ‘90s. He says when he heard about his passing, he had to play Eddie Money’s first album.
“If you really want to remember Eddie, listen to his music,” he said.
Money was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2008. Co-founder Jim Faith said Eddie Money was the definitive Long Island musician.
Faith said, “He was a great guy, a great family man, but really, truly talented.”
Eddie Money's family released a statement saying that it is hard to imagine their world without him, however he will live on forever through his music.
- Officials say the teen stabbed in a brawl in Oceanside Monday has died in the hospital.Officials say the teen stabbed in a brawl in Oceanside Monday has died in the hospital.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Un niño de El Bronx estuvo a punto de caerse desde el piso 13 de un edificio.Un niño de El Bronx estuvo a punto de caerse desde el piso 13 de un edificio.
- To help you celebrate National Cheeseburger Day we compiled 11 of the best deals you can find in the tri-state area.
- A Shirley man was badly injured when he was hit by a car while crossing a busy Suffolk street Monday night, police say.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Jake's Rescue Ranch. The shelter can be contacted via their website or email.
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.
- LIRR's M9 trains go into service.LIRR's M9 trains go into service.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?