Floral Park mayor files lawsuit to halt Belmont Park constructionPosted: Updated:
The Village of Floral Park filed a lawsuit Tuesday to block the redevelopment of Belmont Park.
Village officials say they have previously expressed concerns about how the $1.3 billion project for the Islanders was too big and would bring too much traffic to the area.
In a letter to residents, Floral Park Mayor Dominick Longobardi says, "the village was compelled to take this step because Empire State Development failed to address the concerns of our residents and failed to mitigate the very real negative consequences to our village that will result from the massive size and scope of the project."
The lawsuit seeks to stop construction on the site until the appropriate environmental review has been completed.
Marilyn Rooney, a Floral Park resident for 47 years, says that as a result of the project, "our whole town would be turned upside down.” She says she has concerns about traffic and security, as the park will attract people from all over the Island.
Not all residents say they have the same concerns.
"I think it's going to create a lot of jobs for guys like me, “ says resident Rob Chierico. “I'm a union man, so I'm all for it."
A spokesperson for Empire State Development says the project has gone through a transparent and public process over many years to gain approval. He also says the developer does not comment on pending litigation.
A spokesman for Gov. Andrew Cuomo says Mayor Longobardi was scheduled to meet with a top administration official about the village's concerns, but filed the lawsuit before the meeting took place.
- Laura Gillen has conceded in the Town of Hempstead supervisor race, she announced Thursday."It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as the first Democratic Supervisor in 112 years," Gillen said in a statement.
The Cutest Pets Contest is ending soon! But you still have time to vote for your favorite! The vote runs through Nov. 22 at noon. You can vote every 5 minutes. The three pets with the most votes will be revealed Nov. 25!
- A new survey of 1,200 Americans and their cleaning habits finds that one in four (23%) have never cleaned their phone.
- The holiday shopping season is here, which means you're probably buying a lot of gifts online!The holiday shopping season is here, which means you're probably buying a lot of gifts online!
- Local Christmas tree farmers say bad weather in Canada, North Carolina and Oregon is part of the problem.
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. The shelter is located in Oceanside. Their phone number is 516-306-4998.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- News 12's Stone Grissom is dishin' some fun T-shirts during his award-winning Dishin' Long Island segments! What fun shirt will he wear next?