Hempstead eyes e-liquid ban amid vaping ‘public health threat’Posted: Updated:
Hempstead is proposing a ban on flavored liquid nicotine products for vaping in light of a new alert from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The CDC is looking into more than 200 possible cases of lung disease in 25 states, including New York, which may be tied to vaping. They are calling it a public health threat.
There have been two severe cases at Winthrop Hospital in Mineola in recent weeks – an 18-year-old who almost died and a 19-year-old with spots on their lungs.
Dr. David Neubert called the proposed Hempstead ban “a huge step in the right direction.”
Vape shop owner Matt Flax says he has kids of his own and would never sell to anyone underage. He says a ban, however, prevents adults from having choices and won't solve the problem with underage customers.
“I don't necessarily think that banning these flavors is going to stop kids from getting a product they shouldn't have. That's what enforcement is for,” he told News 12.
A proposed countywide ban on flavored e-cigarette and liquid nicotine products could also be on the horizon. Legislation was proposed back in May that would make those products illegal in Nassau unless they are flavorless, tobacco, mint or menthol flavored.
LI doctors warn of potential diseases from vaping
Study: Short-term vaping with e-cigs can affect flow in blood vessels
Feds consider drug therapies to get kids off vaping
Warning signs about vaping to go up in Town of Hempstead
Suffolk officials: 21 arrested in vaping sting operation
- A Long Beach woman is accused of killing the man she had been involved with for years, then setting his Centre Island home on fire to cover up the crime.
- Thousands of people were pounding the pavement in Northport Saturday for the annual Great Cow Harbor Race.
- Nassau police say a 58-year-old man was fatally struck by a car Friday night in Uniondale.Nassau police say a 58-year-old man was fatally struck by a car Friday night in Uniondale.
- This week's workout comes from Allen Rosenbluth at Club Pilates in Oceanside. Grab a paper plate and a ball for a gliding lunge.
- It's time to DANCE! Happy National Dance Day! Do you like to dance?It's time to DANCE! Happy National Dance Day! Do you like to dance?
- ZZ Top performed at Jones Beach Thursday evening.ZZ Top performed at Jones Beach Thursday evening.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at North Fork Animal Welfare League. Their phone number is (631) 765-1811.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Jake's Rescue Ranch. The shelter can be contacted via their website or email.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach