Floral Park nutritionist says Weight Watchers app could hurt children’s relationship with foodPosted: Updated:
A Floral Park nutritionist says the new Weight Watchers children's app, called Kurbo, focuses more on weight loss than healthy eating.
The app is targeted to people between 8 years old and 17 years old. More than 85,000 people have signed a petition on Change.org to change the focus of the app.
"The children are losing a lot of weight," says Stephanie di Figlia-Peck, a nutritionist at the Cohen's Children's Medical Center. "There is evidence that shows when you start a child too soon, that you can lead them in the path of an eating disorder."
The app allows children 13 years old or older to create an account without parental consent.
Officials at WW, formerly known as Weight Watchers, said in a statment, "Kurbo is a family-based program, focused on behavior change for healthier eating and more activity, not dieting or calorie-counting. Studies show that behavior-based weight management programs do not cause eating disorders."
The app launched last week.
- The Lido Beach teen who is accused of fatally stabbing an Oceanside high school student was ordered Thursday held without bail.
- The mother of a Parkland, Florida, massacre victim was among a number of gun safety advocates rallying Thursday outside an NRA fundraiser at The Inn at New Hyde Park.
- Police say at least one shot was fired Thursday afternoon on National Boulevard and West Hudson Street in Long Beach.
- The resilient New York Yankees powered their way to the club's first AL East title since 2012, routing the Los Angeles Angels 9-1 Thursday night behind three RBIs each from old mainstay Brett Gardner and newcomer DJ LeMahieu.
- Aumenta la angustia entre los familiares de la niña desaparecida en NJ. Guerra política en El Bronx por la silla que dejará el congresista Serrano.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Jake's Rescue Ranch. The shelter can be contacted via their website or email.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.