Central Islip camp connects students with community service membersPosted: Updated:
Children in Central Islip are staying in shape with some help from the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office.
The My Brother's Keeper Program at Charles A. Mulligan Elementary School helps children learn the importance of staying fit.
The program also has an academic component to it where campers practice their math and English skills. It also involves lessons on character building, learning what it means to be respectful and building positive and healthy relationship.
"We think it's very important for them not to be involved in gangs or negative influences in their lives and really they can achieve any goal that they want," says Suffolk County Sheriff Errol D. Toulon Jr.
The three-week summer camp also has children, ages 10-14, working with other community service members like the Central Islip Fire Department.
High school students are also employed as mentors for the campers.
Funding for the program came from a federal grant from the My Brothers' Keeper initiative.
The program ends Thursday, but the sheriff's office and school are hoping to continue with a Saturday program from October through June.
- A Coram family was trapped in their home Thursday without power following a nor'easter that took down trees and power lines across Long Island.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!It's National Chocolate Cupcake Day! YUM!
- Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.Check out what's going on around Long Island this weekend.
- The Yankees were the lone playoff team to sweep their division series opponent. Now, they'll get a bigger challenges: the Houston Astros, who had baseball's best record in 2019.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.