Central Islip camp connects students with community service membersPosted: Updated:
Children in Central Islip are staying in shape with some help from the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office.
The My Brother's Keeper Program at Charles A. Mulligan Elementary School helps children learn the importance of staying fit.
The program also has an academic component to it where campers practice their math and English skills. It also involves lessons on character building, learning what it means to be respectful and building positive and healthy relationship.
"We think it's very important for them not to be involved in gangs or negative influences in their lives and really they can achieve any goal that they want," says Suffolk County Sheriff Errol D. Toulon Jr.
The three-week summer camp also has children, ages 10-14, working with other community service members like the Central Islip Fire Department.
High school students are also employed as mentors for the campers.
Funding for the program came from a federal grant from the My Brothers' Keeper initiative.
The program ends Thursday, but the sheriff's office and school are hoping to continue with a Saturday program from October through June.
- The Wyandanch School District could be without a sports program this fall amid a host of budget cuts.
- A former Riverhead High School student who says she was sexually assaulted by the school's principal, Dr. Charles Regan, has officially filed a lawsuit in federal court against him and the Riverhead School District.
- A Brentwood woman was arrested on animal cruelty charges after being accused of leaving her dog outside for days with no water or shelter.
- The Elmont LIRR station is expected to be opened by October 2021.The Elmont LIRR station is expected to be opened by October 2021.
- Thousands flock to the North Fork Sunflower Maze in Mattituck over the course of the summer and early fall to catch a glimpse of the millions of sunflowers standing tall among the farm.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.