CNN anchor Chris Cuomo caught on video during confrontation at Shelter Island barPosted: Updated:
CNN anchor Chris Cuomo was caught on camera erupting into an angry tirade after a man called him "Fredo" at a Shelter Island bar.
The video was posted to a conservative YouTube channel. Its host told the Washington Post the exchange happened on Sunday when the man seen in the video referred to the primetime anchor as "Fredo," a reference from the "Godfather" movies.
"It's like the n-word for us," Chris Cuomo is heard saying in the video. Chris Cuomo and the man are then seen almost getting into a physical confrontation.
The video has since gone viral. President Donald Trump tweeted, "I thought Chris was Fredo also. The truth hurts. Totally lost it! Low ratings CNN," in response to the video.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who was at an event in Baldwin, left before answering questions about his brother going viral.
Chris Cuomo later tweeted, "Appreciate all the support but - truth is I should be better than the guys baiting me. This happens all the time these days. Often in front of my family. But there is a lesson: no need to add to the ugliness; I should be better than what I oppose."
Bob Fonti, of the New York Italian-American Political Action Committee, says Chris Cuomo is right in one respect - that comparing an Italian-American to a character in a mafia film is wrong.
CNN says it completely supports Chris Cuomo. A spokesperson says he was just defending himself during an "orchestrated set up."
Chris Cuomo also received support from Fox News host Sean Hannity, saying he "has zero to apologize for."
AP wires contributed to this report.
- A Shirley man who allegedly carjacked a woman in a Lake Grove Whole Food parking lot was arrested at his home Thursday night, according to Suffolk police.
- The Diocese of Rockville Centre has publicly named a priest accused of sexually abusing a child more than 35 years ago.
- Health officials released the findings of a new report this week on varying cancer rates in Suffolk County.
- Petitioners are urging the Town of Riverhead to not include environmentally sensitive land in the Enterprise Park sale at Calverton.Petitioners are urging the Town of Riverhead to not include environmentally sensitive land in the Enterprise Park sale at Calverton.
- Greg Doroski, who says his ancestors go back hundreds of years in Southold, calls himself the candidate of change in the race for town supervisor.Greg Doroski, who says his ancestors go back hundreds of years in Southold, calls himself the candidate of change in the race for town supervisor.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Almost Home Animal Rescue & Adoption. The shelter is located at 646 Medford Ave. in Patchogue. Their phone number is (631) 627-3665.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!