Long Beach restaurant shuts down due to potential salmonella outbreakPosted: Updated:
A Long Beach restaurant has temporarily shut down while authorities investigate a salmonella outbreak.
Brixx & Barley on West Park Avenue was shut down as Nassau health officials are investigating. A department spokesperson says approximately a dozen people have tested positive for the bacterial infection.
They say the outbreak could date back to early July.
The Health Department says it's not known if the source of the contamination is from the restaurant, but that salmonella is typically transmitted during warmer months and is usually foodborne.
Most people experience mild gastrointestinal symptoms, like cramping and diarrhea, 12 to 72 hours after exposure. Those symptoms typically go away on their own in about four to seven days.
In some cases, the effects could be more severe and require hospitalization.
News 12 reached out to Brixx & Barley for comment. A note on the restaurant's door says, "We are voluntarily closing the restaurant to ensure any potential problems are properly rectified while working closely with the health department. The safety of our customers is our No. 1 priority."
At this point, the Health Department is awaiting more test results. It is not clear when the investigation will be finished or when the restaurant could reopen.
- The prosecution started its closing arguments in the obstruction trial of former Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota and his top investigator Christopher McPartland.
- Police have released a photo of a man they say robbed a Great Neck bank at gunpoint Monday morning.Police have released a photo of a man they say robbed a Great Neck bank at gunpoint Monday morning.
- New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal identified the two suspects and the three civilian victims killed in Tuesday's Jersey City shootings. A police detective was also killed.
- The United States Navy announced that the famous Blue Angels will be headlining the 17th annual Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach in May.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.