False alarm: Chaos erupts in Time SquarePosted: Updated:
Chaos erupted in Times Square Tuesday night, as people ran in a panic from what they thought was gunfire.
Videos on social media show people running through the streets of Manhattan just after 10 p.m.
Police say that people panicked when they thought they heard gunfire. But police say it was the sound of a motorcycle backfiring.
The NYPD tweeted "There is no active shooter in Times Square."
Several people were hurt after getting knocked down, and some parents even got separated from their kids.
The scare comes after 31 people were killed in two mass shootings in Ohio and Texas this weekend.
- The Wyandanch School District could be without a sports program this fall amid a host of budget cuts.
- A former Riverhead High School student who says she was sexually assaulted by the school's principal, Dr. Charles Regan, has officially filed a lawsuit in federal court against him and the Riverhead School District.
- A Brentwood woman was arrested on animal cruelty charges after being accused of leaving her dog outside for days with no water or shelter.
- The Elmont LIRR station is expected to be opened by October 2021.The Elmont LIRR station is expected to be opened by October 2021.
- Thousands flock to the North Fork Sunflower Maze in Mattituck over the course of the summer and early fall to catch a glimpse of the millions of sunflowers standing tall among the farm.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
Did you catch the big one? Prove it...no fish stories here! Tweet or Instagram your photos using #LIFish and we may put it in this gallery or show on air.