Kids help restore home of jazz legend in Dix HillsPosted: Updated:
Some kids joined in helping to restore the home of jazz legend John Coltrane.
The group was hard at work all week mending the fence outside the home of John and Alice Coltrane in Dix Hills.
The home of the pioneering jazz musician was named a national treasure last year by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The restoration work is courtesy of a program through the National Trust. The program exposes local youth to vocational trades while breathing life into historic sites.
"It's important for us to show that we are here and want to bring the home back to its original state, and that we want to be good neighbors," says Jackie Burbridge, the project manager of the John and Alice Coltrane Home.
Coltrane lived with his wife, Alice, in the home in the 1960s. The home fell into major disrepair by the early 2000s.
The Town of Huntington purchased the home in 2006 and handed it over to a community group. Restoration work inside has been going on for more than a decade now.
When the renovation is complete, the centerpiece of the home is going to be a recording studio in the same place where Alice Coltrane made her first records.
Ron Stein, president of the John and Alice Coltrane Home, says the home will be open to the public within the next few years and will fully celebrate the Coltranes' legacies.
- Police are asking for the public's help to find a car thief and a stolen car.Police are asking for the public's help to find a car thief and a stolen car.
- It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!It's one of the most popular video games in the world – but millions of gamers can't play!
- Patrick Day's promoter says the 27-year-old Freeport native is currently in a coma following his injury Saturday night.
- A Seaford man has dedicated his life to preserving law and order as an Army reservist and Nassau County judge.
- Investigan el asesinato de una madre hispana en su apartamento en el Bronx. Con manifestaciones en celebración del día indígena rechazan la festivida de Columbus Day. El president de Ecuador y líderes indígenas proponen acuerdo ante la crísis.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.